Friday, July 15, 2011

There's a Bike for Everyone

Bikes for sale Downtown
Our local Pawnshop Dicker-N-Deal sells bicycles of all kinds at reasonable prices. These guys looked in pretty good shape. Better condition than my Betty Lou. A quick Google check I took says that 86% of the bicycles sold in USA are imported from China. In 2007 bicycles sold in USA topped 18.5 million and in 2009 more bicycles were sold than cars in USA, though I can't garuntee the accuracy of these Google posts :-] But as gasoline goes higher and more jobs get lower I'd assume more bicycles will be purchashed to do small errands and tasks. Many families might even sell the extra vehicle they have and resort to only one car to save on gas, maintanance,plates,tabs and insurance. Bicycles are very low maintanance and in many small towns, enforcement of bicycle laws is practically non-existant, though I suspect more rigid standards on bikes will come along due to greater numbers of them getting in the way of cars, at least until proper bike-lanes are built. For now I kinda like being the only pedaler that my eyes can see. No bike traffic to get tangled up with. Not many pedestrians either and that keeps me from crawling around them. Sadly there will come a day when I see tire to tire traffic and hours to pedal a few miles. Until that day arrives, I'm going to enjoy the wide open spaces of few pedalers and even less pedestrians.

1 comment:

  1. You should see if this guy will let you trade bikes with him if yours is in such bad shape! Either that or it is time to overhaul the bike?

    ReplyDelete