Friday, July 22, 2011

Pedaling Down Memory Trail

Missy and Mindy on their new Schwinn Sting-Ray Fairlady


Jimio - Gary - Joe posing for Momio
 I suppose we all have memories of riding our bikes around the neighborhood, around town, or around the lake. When I learned how to ride a bike I realized my ability to go farther than walking was greatly enhanced. The next step was learning to drive which was the ultimate in increasing one's territory. Even though my friend Joe's house was only 6 houses down, I still rode my bike there instead of walking. Getting there in 1 minute beats getting there in 4. Plus we were going to go out riding somewhere. Once you have a bike as a kid it becomes a part of you. To go anywhere of any importance required  jumping on your bike be it the gas station for a soda and candy bar or a cruise through the Sub-Division or around Gilletts Lake to see the girls Sunbathing at the County Park. Many of us quit riding bikes after we bought a car and not until we got married and bought bikes for their kids did they buy a new bike and start riding with their kids. I see quite a few parents these days riding with their children. When I was a kid I didn't see that as often. I'm not sure whether it meant parents felt we were safer back in the 60s and 70s so let us ride off alone. I like parents of today riding with their kids not only to protect them and make sure they are safe, but also to just be with them, to interact with them, to show they care about them and to maybe offer funny stories of when they rode bikes as kids! This is Jimio saying Ride Safe-Ride Smart- Ride Nostalgic. P.S. here are 2 nice links of Schwinns  http://www.commutebybike.com/2006/12/03/1974-schwinn-stingray-fairladykeep-it-or-sell-it/   http://www.schwinncruisers.com/schwinn-documentation/1960-schwinn-bicycle-models/

2 comments:

  1. Kewl bikes with the bananna seats! And are those bell bottoms in the other picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuo we all wore Bell-Bottoms in the 70s =B-]

    ReplyDelete