Friday, January 13, 2012

Economizing

Bike parked at the Post Office
In this day of tight budgets and layoffs and new debt ceiling limits, one must find ways to save money. This person saved on a rear bike basket with this nifty plastic milk crate. *Bravo* I say to the innovators and the frugal creators. I also have resorted to such money saving endeavors with the use of scotch tape, duct tape, bundgy cords, string, wires, chain and the wonderful bread ties. Over my 57 years on this Earth I haved owned only 3 Bicycles: A 1966 black Schwinn Racer which I recieved for getting all A's in the 5th grade, a 1974 Fuji Finest that I did a few tours on and now, Betty Lou, a Murray Elk River mountain bike. Murray Bikes are no longer in business as Briggs-N-Stratton bought them out and use their name on Lawn and Garden equipment. I'm not sure of Betty Lou's age maybe 15 to 20 years old, but she gets me around to places I need to go. Only thing I done was new tires , tubes and pedals and take the bikestand off to save on weight [Betty Lou weighs a ton] Some innovate their bikes with lots of reflective tape. This hopefully ensures cars will see you at night. I admit I'm not good at reflective clothing or tape so I have to be extra care when I hear a car comming near me. Staying on the sidewalk at night helps a lot. Some people even innovate by making homemade carriers and extre seats to haul their toddlers in [just be sure its a safe sturdy connection to your bike] and pets also get to ride in some ingenious devices hooked to the handlebars. Also a good way to economize is go slow over huge bumps and dont jump off curbs, its hard on the rims and always go around potholes [your bike will thank you as well as your bones] -This is Jimio saying *Ride Fun* *Ride Safe* *Ride Frugally*

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for not spending money on bikes. As you know, one bike can last for years. We have a lot in common. I'm looking for another bike to replace one of mine, but I'm perusing Craig's List, garage sales and the like to find something suitable that I can tinker with.

    Here's to frugality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Do that! My pannier rack was missing the part that connects it to the bike seat post when I bought it(grrr). So I used some extremely malleable steel strapping with holes in it to do the job. Works like a charm! Also, I think Sears still sells Murray bikes. Right? Happy biking!

    ReplyDelete